Friday, August 5, 2011

HUMILIATE

"Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you" (James 4:10).

Find a way to lower yourself and God will find a way to lift you up!  It's interesting to me that God doesn't say in this verse that He will humble us.  Instead, He says, "Humble yourselves".  Actually, I'm pretty good at that--assuming that humble is the same as humiliate.  Humble means to lower yourself--to get low, and so I think I'm on the right track with this.  Our tendency is to spend an enormous amount of energy attempting to exalt ourselves.  Can you say, "FUTILE"?  Only God exalts.  However, we can "lower" pretty good.  This sounds like grace to me.  Break it and God will fix it.  Fail and God will cause success.  Weak becomes strong.  Death becomes life.  Humiliation becomes exaltation.

So, if you mess up today and end up embarrassing yourself--maybe it's not so bad.  You're just practicing James 4:10.

No comments:

Post a Comment