Tuesday, October 18, 2011

ENDURANCE

"And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing" (James 1:4).
 
In the Greek, the first part of this verse is declared loudly like a command, "Endurance must have it's perfecting work!"  In other words, it is essential that we allow endurance, which is the fruit of testing, to accomplish it's purpose in our lives.  It must happen!  Endurance perfects us--it completes us!  It fills in our defects and makes us whole.  God allows trials and tests to attack us so that we will increase in endurance and thus grow healthier (stronger).
 
Though I don't do it now, I used to run quite a bit.  My goal in running was to get healthier and maintain a stronger physical condition.  I don't mind telling you that I don't like to run--I never have.  I don't run for pleasure--I run for conditioning.  For me, it's hard work as I, day after day, attempt to run farther and to run faster.  I have to resist the urge to quit.  I have to push through the pain.  I have to constantly remind myself of the benefit that I am gaining.  The more I run consistently, the more endurance that I gain, and the stronger that I become. 
 
I like to think that when problems and difficulties enter my life, that it's God saying, "Come on, Dave, let's go for a run". 
 
What are you enduring today?  Let me encourage you to focus on the benefit of your endurance today.  How is God growing you through your situation?  Keep going--the finish line is just ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment