Tuesday, June 14, 2011

LAND

 
Yesterday, June 13th, marked our 18th month of existence as a church. We are now 1 1/2--still a toddler in terms of growth and maturity and yet we are capable of making a lot of noise....lol. We have wandered around quite a bit over the past 18 months experiencing six different worship locations. Yet we have not wandered aimlessly--God has led us every step of the way. Each location, no matter how short a stay, has been a necessary step in our journey as a church.
 
Monday is a tough day for pastors. It sits in contrast to the excitement and wonder of Sunday worship. Most pastors experience some level of depression on Monday, as emotionally and experientially, the day just doesn't live up to Sunday. The joke among pastors is that we freshen up our resume on Monday and throw it away again on Tuesday. Believe me, I'm no exception. Yesterday, I entertained the idea of quitting. I say it out loud because I know that some of you sometimes think about quitting too. It's not easy to be a part of a church plant. It's not easy to be a mobile church. It's not easy at all.
 
Late yesterday afternoon, I received two exciting bits of information. First of all, Tina received word that a large publisher is VERY excited about her new book and that she should expect a proposal from them today. This is the very publisher that we have most desired from the beginning (by the way there are now 5 publishers interested) . Secondly, Retta shared with me that the remaining obstacles to drilling were removed yesterday and that they will begin to set up to drill for oil the first week in July. In case you've missed it, we believe that God will use the tithe off of this oil well to provide Grace River with a building. So, on our 18th month birthday--while I'm thinking about quitting--God is just getting started!
 
Today, my Bible reading included this: "I am giving all this land to you! Go in and occupy it . . ." (Deut. 1:8). "Look! He has placed it in front of you. Go and occupy it . . . Don't be afraid! Don't be discouraged! (Deut. 1:21). "And you saw how the Lord your God cared for you again and again here in the wilderness, just as a father cares for his child. Now he has brought you to this place" (Deut. 1:31). My friends, I believe that we are on the verge of entering into some wonderful days together as a church--a new place. Even if we're not--I'm still not quitting--not today! God is Good!
 
P.S. I just ran upstairs to read this to Tina before sending it. Smiling, she handed me her Bible and showed me what she had been reading this morning in her quiet time: "Lord, remember David and all that he suffered. He took an oath before the Lord. he vowed to the Mighty One of Israel, I will not go home; I will not let myself rest. I will not let my eyes sleep nor close my eyelids in slumber until I find a place to build a house for the Lord, a sanctuary for the Mighty One of Israel" (Psalm 132:1-5). God is REALLY Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment