Wednesday, July 6, 2011

REASONABLE

"But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable..." (James 3:17).

"Reasonable" means "easily persuaded, willing to yield, compliant" (Rogers & Rogers, p561).  The idea presented is that the person who exercises God's wisdom will carefully and intelligently consider all of the options available before speaking.  They don't operate from any bias other than the bias of having heard and understood the way of God.  The truly wise person will seek to understand without forcing their own personal preference upon the situation.

I heard a friend the other day tell someone who was seeking advice from them, "I know what I want to say...but let me wait and make sure that it's what God wants me to say."  That, my friend, is wisdom.  Until we've heard from God--we don't really have anything to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment