Thursday, November 3, 2011

DECEIT

"Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren" (James 1:16).
 
"Deceived" is the idea of being led astray.  It's giving in to the hunger that makes the fishing lure look really tasty to the fish.  It's fake food--don't fall for it!
 
"Beloved brethren" is a term of endearment.  It's like saying sweetheart or baby--it expresses love.  I often give terms of endearment to my close friends--perhaps it's just a twist on their name--but it's a special term just for them.  It communicates (at least that's what I intend) love and care.  James is expressing his motivation of love for his friends when he tells them not to be deceived.
 
My translation of the verse would be, "You must not allow yourselves to be led astray!--I love you too much, my dear friends"
 
Now here is something that I have found to be true: I don't mind receiving correction and instruction from those that I know love me.  However, I usually dismiss the advice of those who are not investing in my life.  Perhaps that is why Ephesians 4:15 tells us that we should be, "speaking the truth in love".  As humans we may not be capable of hearing the truth about ourselves--except in the language of love.
 
Today, you will likely need to point out the truth to someone.  You may need to tell them that they are chasing a deadly lure.  Invest in them--love them--and they just might hear you.

No comments:

Post a Comment