Monday, November 14, 2011

DOING

"But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves" (James 1:22).
 
There is a big difference between hearing truth when someone shares it and actually doing something about it.  We are all capable of deceiving ourselves and ignoring the truth (especially if it contradicts what we want).  Of course, the greatest truth that any of us will ever hear comes through the Holy Spirit as we read the the Bible.  My habit is to look for one of four things every time that I read the scriptures: 1. Is there a promise?  2. Is there a revelation about who God is or what He does? 3. Is there something that I need to start doing?  4. Is there something that I need to stop doing?  I'm in the habit of reading one paragraph at a time, searching all the time, for some word or some insight that the Father might want to share with me.  It's deeply personal for me and I always expect that God has something to say about my day.  I have a journal where I write down the verses that God illuminates for me and I write down a few sentences about what I sense He is saying and how I will respond obediently.
 
Today, listen for words of promise, words of direction, correction, or revelation.  Hear them!  Adjust to them!  God is speaking--will you listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment