Tuesday, November 8, 2011

LISTEN

"This you know, my beloved brethren.  But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger" (James 1:19).
 
It's been said, "God gave us two ears and one mouth, so we can hear twice as much as we say".  I have had to learn the art of listening.  In the past, I've been slow to listen and quick to speak...lol.  I did it so often that I had a reputation for not really listening when people were speaking to me--now that's embarrassing!  It's something that I am still working on.  Let me share with you a truth that I've learned about listening vs speaking.  It has everything to do with love.  As I've learned to be present in a room and as I've learned to value people--as I've learned how to love, it's become much easier to listen.  To listen is to love someone--to value their words, their thoughts, and their perspective.  It's worthy of note that James, in our verse today, seems to be equating anger with speaking and that he is setting both of these in opposition to the desired virtue of hearing.
 
Today, practice hearing.  Value others words, and resist the urge to add your own.  Like Job's friends did for seven days--just listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment